Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Cleaning House...What a drag!

I am a pathetic housekeeper, really! The only time I accomplish some deep cleaning is, oh, you know...when company is coming! So, my parents are arriving tomorrow morning from the West coast, and I have been scrubbing, washing, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming like a madwoman for the past two days in between running kids to tennis, gymnastics and the pool. Why do I do this to myself? My kids and husband avoid me during these times because I turn into the wicked witch from the west.

Certain friends of mine have actual cleaning schedules. I tried that...once. I guess it required too much self discipline or something. Monday was laundry day; Tuesday, floors; Wednesday, bathrooms, etc. I'd really like to implement something like this into my days. Then, perhaps I wouldn't become such a basket case right before family shows up on my doorstep. Instead of washing 18 windows and 3 sliding doors inside and out hours before, I could actually start weeks ahead of time. I could space out the vacuuming over a few days to avoid the incessant barking of our dog, who goes completely loony during the cleaning process. Imagine having a clean house weekly instead of quarterly!

Tony doesn't understand any of this madness, not that I'm too concerned about it. Goodness gracious, I need to keep up the appearances that my house looks like it's spotless all the time. I guess it's one of those masks I wear, you know, the "I have it all together" look or at least my house does. Truly, when I clean my house, it's less about the fact that it's dirty and more about people's perceptions of me. This is the part Tony doesn't get. "Who cares?" is his cry. Well, golly, jeepers, I sure do care. How could I even think of having family or friends stay at my house with toys strewn about, dust on my shelves or bird doo-doo on the windows? It's okay if my family and I live in that muck most of the time, but I sure don't want to advertise that to anyone else.

Now you know the "real" me. I'm coming out of the closet, coming clean! I am a severe procrastinator with regard to cleaning. I may even be allergic to it. I'll let you know if I break out into hives or my eyes become puffy or swollen. Perhaps then Tony will fire that lousy housekeeper! Wishful thinking, I'm sure.

Alas, I'm tired and sore, but my tasks are complete...mostly. I didn't get all the white doors wiped free of fingerprints and other odd stains; a few windows are still dirty; weeds still permeate the front flowerbed. Oh well, there's always tomorrow at 6 am before I leave for the airport, or not! I don't want my parents to think I'm perfect.

No comments: