Monday, July 9, 2007

Where Does The Time Go?

I don't know where it went, but it's gone! Just yesterday I was having my firstborn son, Nick, and today I went to his honor's award's night for his sophomore year in high school. How did 16 years pass by so quickly? I distinctly remember when Nick turned 2, and I felt like we were eons away from things like junior high and high school. Isn't it crazy how we can't wait for our little ones to roll over, sit up and finally walk for the very first times, yet we stand at the brink of high school graduation and want to slow the clock way down.

I'm suddenly realizing that I'm now experiencing some of the "last" things I'll see Nick do...the "last" tennis matches he'll play, the "last" Sounds of South musicals he'll be performing in, the "last" time he'll be a Sophomore in school, and someday quite soon, the "last" day he'll spend in high school. I want to treasure these moments. I know I've wasted far too many days hurrying time to get to the next milestone...or worse, being too busy to enjoy precious time with my son, thinking falsely that I have many other days to enjoy with him. It's just not true! Time slips away as quickly as a snake slitherering quietly into the grass. It's gone, and I can't retrieve it no matter how desperately I want to. Not that I want a snake to come back, by any means!

My solution? Enjoy each moment I have left; treasure each conversation; hug him as much as I can (if he'll let me); be accessible and available...and never too busy!
Posted at 05:14 pm by astonger
Make a comment

No comments: