Thursday, July 26, 2007

Whispers

Many times as I read God's word, a verse literally jumps off the page and grabs hold of me. This morning was like that. Proverbs 26:20 says, "For lack of wood the fire goes out, and where there is no whisperer, contention quiets down." I've been a whisperer before, have you? I've thrown more wood on the fire, keeping it burning, hurting others. It's embarassing to get caught adding wood to the flame. So simple the solution! Don't whisper; don't be the source; don't be the wood. Your words will never come back to bite you if you're quiet. Reminds me of another verse in James which says, "So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. Behold, how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!" It's the whispers that start out small and quiet, yet can quite quickly become a raging fire out of control. Help me, Lord, to keep my mouth shut!

1 comment:

Joni said...

A good word, girl. A good word. Love You, sweet sister!