Saturday, December 8, 2007

Guilty of the Gimmies

This is an article I recently wrote for our women's newsletter, Divine Lines. You can check out the entire newsletter at SOCC.org.

It was a huge mistake to venture into the brand new Build-A-Bear store with my daughter Maddie present. “Oh mommy, can I have this bear? No, I want the pink puppy dog. I want the bunny, too. Mommy, look at this cheerleading outfit! I want that. Oh, and I want that little bed for my new dog. Can I get those pajamas for my bunny?” The whining and wanting droned on and on as we viewed the other displays of outfits and accessories for cute little stuffed animals. The “gimmie” disease has latched onto my child and taken over her entire attitude. Even while browsing through the Samaritan’s Purse catalog to choose an item to donate, Maddie thought it was all about her. “Oooo, I want that little lamb and that blanket.” Ugh!

After experiencing a glorious Thanksgiving full of gratitude toward a Savior who loves us and has redeemed us, we turn the page on the calendar and very oftentimes, instead of focusing on the baby who took on human skin for us, we are bombarded with and distracted by a very different message. Children aren’t the only ones who catch the “gimmie” disease. I caught it just last week as I was browsing through stores in Nashville. Beautiful Christmas décor displayed in windows called to me to enter through the doors enticing me to purchase items I fancied adorning my home. I have to admit that I was reeled in like a fish on a line.

And what do we as parents communicate to our children during the Christmas season? Make a list, so we know what you want. We actually give our children permission to get the gimmies. The rest of the year I chant this mantra whenever I enter a store with my 6-year-old. “You are not getting anything from this store. Please do not ask.” Now I am asking, begging, pleading with my three children to tell me what they want because I am marching to the store to buy what their hearts’ desire. In case you think that I am a bit “scroogish” (if that’s a word), I certainly am not. I love to buy my children things. I delight in seeing their faces light up when they open a present that they asked for. I am simply pointing out that at Christmas it seems as if I am actually promoting selfishness, wanting and gimmie-itus by encouraging them to compile long lists of gift ideas.

How do we stop this madness? How do we promote giving instead of getting? Luke instructs us in Acts to remember that Jesus said that it is better to give than to receive. Most of us do not prefer that our children become selfish little imps at Christmas; rather, our greatest desire would be that they focus on the birthday of Jesus, the baby who changed the world by giving up heaven and putting on human skin. I want my children to really experience the joy of Christmas…giving not getting. A few ideas listed below may help our families concentrate more on giving than receiving this Christmas:

1. Adopt a family in need this year. Let your children help you shop for gifts.
2. Put together shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. Even though it’s too late for this year, plan to participate next Christmas.
3. Help your children “shop” in the Samaritan’s Purse or another organization’s catalog. You can choose an item to give such as a cow, a meal or a blanket for a needy child or family.
4. Every time you pass a Salvation Army bell ringer, give your child some money to drop in the bucket.
5. Participate as a family in any service opportunities Sherwood Oaks or another organization provides at Christmas.

While this is not an exhaustive list, it’s a start on our journey to help our children find the joy in giving, not receiving. My Savior gave up his home in heaven to take on human flesh so that I might receive the ultimate gift, salvation. This Christmas, may we as followers of Christ, demonstrate the attitude of giving so that those we cross paths with, whether at work, the mall or at home, catch “giving-itus”. Let’s get rid of those “gimmies”!

No comments: