Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Interesting Conversations

Don't you love Thanksgiving? It is the only holiday in which presents are not a concern, although Maddie did ask last night when we were going to open presents. She expressed huge disappointment that we do not actually open presents on Thanksgiving. Actually, the reverse is true. We give gifts of gratitude to our Savior instead!

Anyway, earlier this week I had an illuminating dialogue with Tony regarding "shopping". After all, we all know that the day after Thanksgiving is an extremely important day for people like me who are freakish enough to venture out into the maddening craziness and overwhelming lines of other freaks waiting to buy stuff our kids don't need for Christmas all in the name of saving money. I happen to enjoy doing this. As we were conversing, I explained the schedule for the day. After perusing the sales ads on Thanksgiving and determining which deals were worth awaking at 4 am, driving half asleep to the store and fighting other crazies over, we would then perhaps make our way to better shopping in Indianapolis if necessary. We would be gone until late. The kids would be cranky and dragging by the end of the day, but who cares. After all, we are saving money by doing this. I further declared that Saturday would be the official "Decorate the Tree and House" day.

Imagine my shock when my husband responds, "Why don't we put the tree up Friday when we get home?"

Me: "No, that won't work because we won't be home until late. We'll be too tired."

Tony: "Well, what you're talking about doing is only going to take a matter of a couple of hours."

Me: "What, are you kidding? No way. Shopping is more than looking in stores. It's an entire experience. You shop, you take a break for coffee, you shop, you have a snack, you shop, you eat lunch, etc. This is going to take all day. We're putting the tree up Saturday."

End of discussion. Bottom line: he may stay home. I warned him that I wasn't putting up with any cranky attitudes.

Fast forward two days to the next conversation...Maddie is discussing the trials she is having with another little girl in her classroom over a boy named Seth. They both like him, and she is troubled by this. "Mom, we both want him." Want? Want him for what? I'm a little concerned about this girl.

5 minutes later...Maddie is supposed to be brushing her teeth in the bathroom but comes back to me in the kitchen to relay an important revelation.

Maddie: "Mom, I don't like "saxy" (translation: sexy). " I tell you, we've got problems here.

Me: "Do you mean "sexy"? Do know what that means?"

Maddie: "You know, when girls try to be "saxy" (she's still saying it like this) and wear "saxy" clothes." She then goes through the charade of showing me she's talking about short sleeve shirts and even shirts that come off the shoulders.

Me: "Boys like girls who are pretty inside...like kind and loving."

Maddie: "Yes, I know mom. That's why I said in the bathroom that I don't want to be "saxy"."

I hope she's still saying that when she's 16. Somehow, I doubt it. I think we'll be locking her up.

2 comments:

Arlene said...

Oh, Annette. I must say we are opposite when it comes to day after Thanksgiving shopping. I cannot stand the crowds, early hours, etc. But Lindsey begged to go and she would have loved to have gone along with you! At least we put up our tree and village on Friday. That kind of made up for it!

Love you,
Arlene

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

We need a new post, girl!