Friday, December 28, 2007

It Doesn't Feel Like Christmas, Day 5

Similar to a trilogy, this is the third and final excerpt in my thrilling Christmas saga. I'm confident many tears will be shed as the last sentence of this fast-paced drama is read. Unfortunately, the ending of this story is quite anti-climactic.

Aside from saving three presents for Maddie to open on this special day, it felt nothing like Christmas. Santa came Friday night, if you recall. Nick and Alix had flown to California. With three people left behind, it was hardly worth it to have a big Christmas dinner. Sigh! I had been complaining (yes, it's true...me...complaining) to Tony early in the week that I WAS NOT looking forward to Christmas Day. It's just not the same without my entire family here. It's way too quiet, even with my loudest child still at home.

So, we slept late; we ate cold cereal for breakfast; we made the traditional Christmas morning hot cocoa. That was about the only tradition we kept. After Maddie opened her last gifts, we did something we never have done before but might become a new tradition every other year when the older kids are away on Christmas. We traipsed out on an unusually warm day in December for Indiana to a movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks. I never realized how many people actually go to movies on Christmas Day. It was a great way to get over my pity party.

It would've been an even more perfect ending to Christmas if a restaurant would've been open to feed us after the movie, but alas, not a car was parked nor a light on at any establishment we drove by. It was home to leftover ham for us...again.

The grand finale to our night was our Wii bowling tournament. Maddie tried to coax us into playing Barbie's with her, but we absolutely and most adamantly refused. She compromised by putting on a fashion show with her Barbie's modelling their new clothes. She bowled in between outfits and actually placed 2nd in our tournament. Guess who was the big loser?

So, Christmas felt like any other normal day in our lives with all the excitement of the season happening days before. But, you know what? Although it was different from what I desired it to be, it was a good day nevertheless. It was definitely more quiet than what I'm currently blogging to...Alix and Maddie performing karaoke to High School Musical 2! Oh, for some peace and quiet...

1 comment:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I prayed for you on Tuesday a couple different times, my friend. I knew it just wouldn't be the same without Nick and Alix, and my momma's heart was hurting for you. I almost called you several times to see if you would like to come over and hang out. Maybe I should have?