Monday, February 11, 2008

Unbelievably Scandalous Behavior

Remember that little book I was reading to Maddie? The one about s.e.x? If you are totally confused, scroll down a couple of posts to get the gist of what I am about to relay next.

Maddie, apparently, decided it was "share" day at Sunday School yesterday. As I was attempting to put her name tag on for her class, she would not take her coat off so I could apply it to her shirt. I mistakenly thought she was cold and wanted to keep her coat on longer. So, I told her to just open up her coat, so I could slip on her name tag. She didn't want to. "I'll just take it and put it on myself." I insisted on putting it on her, and lo and behold...if she wasn't hiding the book, Where Do Babies Come From?, underneath her coat! My little, sneaky daughter was preparing to share with her friends, Hope, Ashley AND Daxton, all about the birds and the bees. And, yes, the book does contain pictures of a boy's and girl's body parts. Not a good thing to share in Sunday School. I believe she realized that it was inappropriate since she was sneaking the contraband in her coat.

You know that security line you stand in at the airport? Perhaps we need to have a security checkpoint before entering Sunday School so that any questionable material can be confiscated. I can just picture children having to remove everything from their pockets...rocks, gum wrappers, toy rings, coins...before they can come through the doors. Suspicious looking kids like Maddie will get patted down and have to remove their shoes and coats just in case they've stashed inappropriate objects in order to influence innocent children.

In any case, I'm so thankful to have avoided the scandal Maddie could've caused had she succeeded in her endeavors. Is it possible that she might have been kicked out of Sunday School? I'm not quite sure what sort of punishment one gets for bringing an s.e.x. book to the Kindergarten/First grade class. I hope to never find out, either. You can be sure that I'LL be patting her down before we get in the car each week!

7 comments:

gettingreal said...

Oh..my...gosh. That is HYSTERICAL! Thank goodness Joshua is a few years behind her. You definitely need to keep a close eye on that one. Love it!

Val said...

How cute is this! I love your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely a classic Maddie move!! Too funny! That girl is something else! Josh has the likes of her in his class at school by the name of Edward. I tell him to stay away from that boy!
With as enamored as Maddie is with her cousin Josh and his oh so hip long hair, I'm going to have to keep an eye on that girl this summer!
Love ya,
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

You know, as a parent sometimes we say "I hope you have a child just like you!" but, Annette, this child is not like you AT ALL! I cannot believe what she comes up with. You may need to get into counseling NOW to try and get inside her head. She is truly unique. Gotta love it! I'm praying for you more and more and more. Love ya, Mom

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I am about to leave for a women's Bible study but I hope to talk someday...about living through divorce....all the mess and labeling that goes with it....
In His Graces~Pamela

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

Sooo cute! Your daughter and your "her" story. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I will be back.

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I had a chance to read your post this morning...I would have loved to have seem the Sunday School teachers reaction if she had gotten by with her plan!! Too funny! But I am sure if it is like most churches, it would have indeed been a scandle. You are so lucky you caught this!! God is good! This is a story to remember and share with her when she has her own likds one day in the same situation. God bless!
In His Graces~Pamela