Wednesday, February 6, 2008

All About the Birds and the Bees

Recently, I begin reading to Maddie the book Where Do Babies Come From?, which is one book from the new Learning About Sex series. Each Christian-based book is geared towards different ages. This particular book is for 6-8 year-olds. Maddie saw a picture of a pregnant mommy which showed the baby inside of her and displayed the area where the baby comes out. I watched her face grow more and more confused as she compared the size of the baby's head with the size of the birth canal. Finally, she blurted out, "Uh, Mom, that baby's head is too big to come out there!" I then had to explain that it does get bigger when it's time for the baby to be born.

Me: But, that's not how you were born, Maddie. I had a C-section with you.

Maddie: What's a C-section?

Me: That's when you have a surgery and the doctor takes the baby out. I didn't have a C-section with Nick and Alix.

Maddie: I know...they came out the pipe!

Hmm...I guess in the book, it DOES sort of look like a pipe. We may need to have a few more discussions about this topic, I'm thinking. Just as long as she doesn't go to school and start telling her friends about the "pipe", we'll be ok.

2 comments:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

The pipe!!! I'm dying here. :) She is such a hoot.

Anonymous said...

That is hysterical! And how appropriate that her birth just happens to be 7 years ago tomorrow!!

Love ya,
Rhonda