Saturday, February 23, 2008

Silence IS Golden

You know, I never could understand until recently why my mom continually kept the radio volume low in the car. I mean, you could barely hear it! As teenagers, my siblings and I enjoyed loud music, so we could sing. We'd turn the volume up; she'd turn the volume down. It was a battle which she eventually won since she was driving. During my high school and college years, I studied and slept with the music playing. When I drove, music resonated from the radio the entire time. Today, I can drive across town before I realize I can barely hear the CD that's playing.

I have finally figured out this strange phenomenon. SEVERAL years older and three kids later, two of which are teenagers with blaring music blasting in their own rooms and one who consistently uses her outdoor voice indoors, noise abounds all.the.time. Even I have been known to boom some Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir or TobyMac from time to time. However, I must now admit to belong to the crowd who enjoys more serenity, stillness, peace.

A few days ago, the 24 hour creeping crud attacked, and I spent some time before the golden white throne and laying on the couch. I know, too much information. The school bus whisked the noisemakers off to school, and quiet abounded. I dozed, caught up on my One Year Bible reading and sipped Sprite. Despite being sick, it was glorious. No TV, no radio, no noise except the sound of my breathing. My husband called around lunch time to inform me he was coming home to take care of me. So sweet, so kind. Gee, I hope he doesn't expect me to talk 'cause for once (everyone take note because this NEVER happens), I don't feel like conversing. He bebops in the door, begins heating up the Chicken Noodle soup and flips the radio on! My low blood pressure began to rise. Alas, my perfectly, quiet day broken by the push of a button.

Fast forward to last night. Our youngest, who is always with us like the poor Jesus talks about in the Bible, attended her first birthday party sleep-over. Believe me when I say that ALL of us were excited for her night out! She kept telling us that she would miss us. Yeah, right! At dinner that evening, with Tony, the teens and Nick's girlfriend, it was unusually quiet. No outbursts, no interruptions, no incessant talking during dinner. We enjoyed normal, pleasant conversation. What a difference that one loud child makes. The family movie? No child hopping from person to person's lap, no talking during the movie, no asking for ice cream in the middle of if. And, bedtime? What a delightfully, silent experience. No cajoling, bribing, threatening those teens to get some shut-eye. No begging and pleading for them to hurry up and get their teeth brushed and go potty. Everyone, just simply hugged, performed their nightly rituals and went to bed.

Today, 9:30 am, Maddie burst through the door, fresh from the party, in all her glory ready to divulge all the delights of the birthday celebration. Silence flees. Stillness ceases. Quiet escapes. Noise reigns once again! And, right this very second as I click this keys? Blessed peace lives again. Tony whisked Maddie away to a bowling fundraiser. As he left, he remarked, "Well, you have the day to yourself!" I can almost hear a pin drop...Oh, how I love the quiet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the rewards of parenting...Lesson #644: you really know how to enjoy those quiet moments...because you never knew there were any!
Love ya, Mom

Paula Puckett said...

Couldn't have said it better. I LOVE the quiet. Hence, a sitter is coming at 2pm today so I can have some. I've made it 3 full days without hubby so I'm ready!

Tina said...

Hey!! I've tagged you over at my blog...come see! Hope you can do it!

Lelia Chealey said...

Funny!! Yes, those moments of peace & quiet can be so far in between. I always look forward to them, but once they come I really have to force myself to not miss the kids so much. :) I recently blogged about that as I had a meltdown trying to pick out ice cream all by myself! Oh boy...
Good post! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Annette! Just dropping by to say hi. Feel free to check out my blog sometime if you get the chance. :)