Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Our Tooth Fairy Must Be Blonde

I'm very concerned about our Tooth Fairy. I don't know if you've ever experienced this problem before, but I have multiple times now. To be more accurate, our kids have. It's heart-breaking to watch these kids of mine arise in the morning, excited to see what the Tooth Fairy has left in exchange for their itty bitty teeth, and then...wails and sobs break out because they have received absolutely NOTHING! That dirty, rotten, scoundrel Tooth Fairy. How dare she (or he) forget my children.

It's incredible to observe how creative this Loser Tooth Fairy has become over the years. On one occasion money magically appeared underneath the pillow after the child had awakened and left the bedroom. How did the Tooth Fairy manage to do that so sneakily, and how could the child be so naive to think that he missed seeing the money in the first place? Another time, that savvy Tooth Fairy placed that dollar inside the pillow case and forgot to take the tooth. We simply explained to our daughter that the TF probably wanted her to keep her tooth for posterity. She bought it, hook, line and sinker.

And the latest episode of the TF with Alzheimer's occurred a few days ago. A groggy, distraught Maddie plodded into my bathroom in the morning upset because once again the TF forgot to leave money. "I checked everywhere, even in the pillow case!" Picking up my daughter, I stepped into the kitchen speaking loudly to hubby, "Can you believe that the Tooth Fairy forgot to leave money AGAIN?" Wink, wink. He's getting the picture clearly, and as I hand him my wallet, he sneaks out to the rugrat's bedroom. A few minutes later, he appears saying that he thinks the Tooth Fairy did visit during the night, but left the money in a different place this time. The Tooth Fairy loves a good scavenger hunt! Walking into her bedroom, Maddie begins checking under all the pillows, looks behind the bed and doesn't find anything until daddy says, "You didn't check underneath your baby's pillow!" Wow, he's so smart. How'd he think of that? Well, there lay four quarters ready to be handled by her grubby, little hands. "But, she always leaves a dollar!" Maddie cried.

Forget the Tooth Fairy, we need to work on this girl's math! All's well that ends well. Sigh.

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

We have a creative tooth fairy at our house as well! Must run in the family.

Joni said...

I can NEVER remember when the tooth fairy is supposed to come!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh! I needed that! Love you all...Mom

Gwendolyn said...

LOL...I once told my youngest daughter that the toothfairy didn't work on Sundays, so she would, of course, leave the money the following night. I love gullible children.

gettingreal said...

This would make a great children's book somehow. I needed a good laugh after reading Dawn's blog.

Paula Puckett said...

She "forgets" to come here too. What's wrong with her?!

The Equipped Life said...

Our tooth fairy was always forgetful, but, alas, not very creative.

When my daughter was little she did not want the tooth fairy coming and reaching under her pillow!! She told me, "Mommy, tell that tooth fairy don't come get my tooth. I don't need any money!"