Sunday, May 11, 2008

This One's for the Birds

I absolutely love spring...redbud trees, tulips and daffodils, lilac bushes all budding out and bringing beauty and life to my once drab, brown world. I love to hear the sound of lawn mowers trimming the grass to a beautifully manicured state. I love the smell of newly cut grass and breathing in fresh, cool air before the humidity sets in. I love to peruse and of course purchase new flowers to add to my various gardens. I love to meander through the yard to see what new buds are popping out...that the deer haven't demolished yet. I did gain some wisdom this year and planted some "poisonous" plants that supposedly the deer will not devour. We'll see. I'm still holding my breath.

Even more than all the wonderful things I've listed above are the birds! I have become a bird fanatic. While I don't admit to being an expert, I love to watch and listen to them. At my birdfeeders, I spy on Black Capped Chickadees, Towhees, House Finches, Yellow Finches, Titmouses and of course, all kinds of woodpeckers. Each one has such distinct, beautiful sounds. One of these days on a nice warm morning, I'm going to grab my camera and simply sit quietly on my deck waiting for one of these birds to feed. I'll fancy myself one of those fabulous photographers lurking in the wild to get that close up shot of a ferocious animal. Ok, not quite the same, but I'm excited about it.

During spring, I am animated with God about creation. Driving last week, I saw an amazing sunset. Beautiful, bold oranges and reds in a big round ball sinking on the horizon. I flat out told God what a great job he did with that, what an awesome creator he is. Earlier this week I was planting my garden, just a few things for salsa, our main staple in the summer, and my favorite bird to watch perched on the swingset. This majestic big boy, my buddy the pileated woodpecker, looked right and left, right and left, just to make sure the coast was clear and bee-lined it to the suet feeder. I sat as still as a mouse watching. Another God moment. Another time that he chose to show off his perfect creation to me. Grateful for this opportunity, I thanked him again, admiring this beautiful creature before he took off for the trees. I know he lives near because he comes often to eat the food we provide.


I hope you take the time this spring to enjoy the beauty of God's creation around you. Sometimes in all of our busyness, we fail to notice what he has placed right in front of our noses.

1 comment:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Beautiful, Annette. Spring definitely causes me to praise and speak the name Elohim!

We've had our bird guide out lately, and I keep thinking the same thing- I need to sit with my camera out there!

Looking forward to eating some of your salsa this summer. With Stan gone now, I can't eat his! :(