Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Magpie Maddie Displays Signs of Airy Disorder

Just last night this airhead disease cropped up in our soon to be 7-year-old girl. I'm not sure if it will be a full-fledged illness as it is with her older blond sister. For now, we are taking a wait and see attitude until we've had more time to observe her actions.

While on the phone with another 1st grade friend from school, Chatty Cathy (aka Maddie) chirped nonstop. "Why are you calling me?"

"Oh, you wanted to see how I was doing?"

"You got my number from Connor?" (Those cursed boys!)

"Oh, let me put you on speaker phone!" (Gee, I don't even know how to do that.)

"My brother, Nick, showed me how to do it." (Hey Nick, how about showing your anti-techy mom?)

In between the sentences, it's a giggle, giggle here and a giggle, giggle there. Then, little 1st grade red-head friend is attempting to ask her mom to do the speaker phone thingy. Her mom is clueless too. So, little red-head friend begins to push buttons haphazardly and hangs up on Maddie. She calls right back. They have soooo much to discuss. Maddie puts her back on speaker phone so we can all participate in this lovely conversation. It's so inspiring.

I hear Maddie say to her that after they hang up, she's going to put a pencil and paper in her backpack. Apparently Maddie is going to write little red-head friend's phone number down at school the next day. "Oh, wait! I have a great idea. How about I get a pencil and write your number down now?"

Little red-head friend: "That's what I was thinking you could do!" (Excitement, giggle, giggle.)

Maddie writes the number down, repeats it back in case she made a mistake, and says, "Do you want to write my number down, too?" Silence. I comment to her and the speaker phone, "Maddie, she has your number. She called you." "Oh, yeah!" she laughs...giggle, giggle.

The blond disease has erupted. Let's hope it doesn't spread. BTW ("By the way" for those of you who aren't clued in on the new abbreviations), the rest of the conversation was a completely silly discussion about getting a "couple" (that's right, boyfriend-girlfriend) back together at recess the following day. I foresee a couple of careers for this girl...a budding matchmaker or the star of a new movie, "Legally Blonde 3".

No comments: