Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Two Shall Become One!

Tony and I fulfilled scripture in a very different sense this week...in a shopping trip. No, my husband is NOT a shopper, unfortunately. And, actually, I'd much prefer him not to accompany me on my shopping trips because...frankly, he makes me nervous. I feel the need to entertain him, make sure he's having fun, not bored, etc. Girlfriends are the best shopping companions aside from my brother-in-law, Steve, who is the only man I've met who enjoys browsing and buying!

Earlier this week Tony mentioned that he needed new dress shirts. Apparently, they have been shrinking in the neck to the point of almost choking him. Either that or his neck has grown a half inch. Not wanting my poor husband to suffer unduly, I made a trip to TJ Maxx to purchase some new shirts. As I was walking out with 5 assorted dress shirts in a bag, my cell phone rang. Guess who? Yep, it was Tony asking me what I was doing. "Shoot, caught shopping again," I thought. Only this time it's for a good cause. Save my poor, sweet baby from dying while in the middle of a presentation to a client. "So, what are you doing?" he asks.

"Well, I'm just walking out of TJ Maxx."

"Oh," he says. "I was just there earlier today."

Completely aghast and peeved, I spout, "You didn't buy any shirts, did you?"

"Why yes I did."

"Well, I just now bought you some shirts, too. I guess we'll just have to compare and see what we both came up with. This will be interesting to see."

Later that evening in our house, one might have received the impression that it was Christmas. I excitedly held my treasured purchase of shirts tightly concealed in the bag waiting to see how we matched up in our separate buying sprees. Would our two bags demonstrate unity in mind even in shopping, or would we remain separate entities, doomed to give each other gift cards for the rest of our days? We sprung the bags open to reveal the contents. The results were astounding. Two white shirts versus two white shirts; one blue shirt versus one blue shirt; one tan shirt versus one tan shirt! The only leftover was the extra maroon shirt in my bag. It was a joyous occasion in our household that night. We experienced a new dimension in our marriage relationship as we realized that we can shop for one another with an assurance that we have similar tastes. This, coupled with the excitement over returning all the extra, unnecessary dress shirts purchased, thus saving money, was cause for great celebration. And, you know my husband, he loves it when I save him moolah when I shop!

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Or maybe he's a quick study after all the shopping he's witnessed you do.

That is pretty amazing!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

An anointed shopping day, for sure! :) Can't wait to see the fruits of your labor.

Maybe we can double date next time at TJMaxx.

Kathy in WA said...

This is hysterical! I can just see the excitement building as the bags are held up and each shirt slowly pulled out.

Too funny!

Duckabush Blog