Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Miss the Bus Day

Yesterday was "miss the bus" day at our house. Of my three children, two managed to throw my day off kilter by daring to do this BIG "no-no". Fortunately, this doesn't occur very often, but when it does, momma ain't happy.

Nick managed to fall back to sleep after I had sweetly awakened him. Alix noticed that he was still snoozing at 7 am and kindly told him to get up or he was sure to miss the bus arriving at 7:20. As I was taking my own shower because of course, I HAD to be somewhere too, I heard the bus arrive, leave and Nick yelling through the door that he was not on the bus. GREAT! My whole schedule was going to hades in a handbasket. I prayed without ceasing that I would not lose my salvation when I conversed with Nick about his apparent problems with making his bus appointment, so that my life would not have to be rearranged and inconvenienced. Well of course Nick blamed his inability to get to the bus on that darn shower. The water stopped flowing in the middle of his shower about five times. Of all days for that to happen. The other part of his problem was staying up to watch the Colts beat the Jaguars which caused a few problems prying open his eyes that morning. At our house, it's always someone else's fault!

Very calmly, and nicely, I might add, I explained to Nick that he needed to get Maddie up and get her ready, so that I could apply my make-up before we left. Priorities are priorities, so I delegated Maddie detail to Nick, so I could concentrate on my face. After all, I couldn't drive to the high school and back with the "natural" look. That would be horrifying and might cause some accidents on the road. He graciously gave Maddie her pop tart, the breakfast of champions, while I laid out her clothes and finished in the bathroom. Ever have a 16 year old watching you get ready and urging you to hurry up? I was definitely not in the mood for that, figuring that it was his own fault for waking up late and well, maybe I just needed to put on an extra bit of mascara and blush this particular day. You know what I mean?

He made it on time to school and even wisely thanked me for driving him. After tossing out the morning mantra, "have a good day at school", he skipped into school joyfully to attend his first class (you betcha), while I raced home to madly dry my still wet hair and get another child on the bus to 1st grade. By this time it's 8:10, and Maddie's bus appointment is in 10 short minutes. I thought I could make it. The sinking feeling came when I was still putting the finishing touches on my hair, and I heard Maddie's bus go by. Big bummer! Now I had to drive another child to school in the opposite direction of where I needed to be at 9 am. This day had just begin, and it was already going downhill.

I expressed a sigh of relief after I dropped off this last child at school and headed toward the church for my Bible study. I knew I was going to be late, but I didn't care, because my day was going to start looking up. It just didn't matter that when I began walking in the downpour with my umbrella into the church building, it flipped inside out with the heavy winds and I could barely hang onto it. After an hour with Beth Moore and some friends, I knew I'd be feeling much better.

2 comments:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

"I prayed without ceasing I would not lose my salvation..." PRICELESS. :)

Joni said...

HEE-larious!